Home security is something we should always be aware of but particularly when leaving a property empty for weeks at a time, such as the upcoming Easter holidays. Student accommodation security is of particular interest as they are often more vulnerable than most with the lure of numerous laptops, tablets, phones and other expensive items in one property. So without meaning to scaremonger, we wanted to share our top tips for keeping your student accommodation secure, safe and in good condition over the Easter break…
- Ensure all windows and doors are locked, not just shut. This includes the internal doors of your individual bedrooms. Sounds simple, but we’ll bet you don’t lock them everytime you go out… If you think any of the locks may need changing, let us know now. You’ll need to lock everything before you leave to prevent break-ins, so if there’s any doubt, let’s get it fixed.
- Set up lamps on timers to make it look as though there’s someone home and time them to come on periodically during the evenings.
- Close your blinds and curtains, particularly in the ground floor rooms. It’s more plausible that someone is in with the blinds shut than it is for them to be open 24/7.
- You could let us know if your Mistoria property is going to be completely empty for a week or more. We can then check on the property in the event of bad weather and keep an eye on things. Or if you know anyone else on your street who will also be around, ask if they can let you know if anything seems wrong, or even give them our number for emergencies such as a burst pipe or collapsed roof!
- Clean. You will kick yourself if you come back to a dirty house, which has been festering for weeks. Take out the bins, empty the fridge (no-one wants find mouldy month-old pasta!) hoover and check under the bed for any old food or stinky socks!
If you’re still searching for your student accommodation for the next academic year, check out our available student housing now, and be sure to download our student housing guide. It’s full of tips for finding the perfect student house, as well as handy hints on how to save money, what you should expect from your landlord, and check-lists for moving in and out of student accommodation. Feel free to contact us with any queries on 0800 500 3015 or using our contact form.